Thursday, May 14, 2020

Practicing Patience during a Pandemic




Wowzer!! Who would have thought we'd ever experience a pandemic, the whole world in semi-shutdown mode? Coronavirus, aka Covid-19 showed its scary face and we shuddered in fear and disbelief. 

Many of us have learned a thing or two about ourselves, as well as others, during this once in a lifetime experience. One of the things I've learned is that I need to relearn and practice PATIENCE! Patience with the news media, the government, the manufacturers and distributors of products, and most importantly patience in personal relationships. My  energetic 7-year-old twin grandchildren moved in 2 weeks before the pandemic shut down schools ... one boy, one girl, complete opposites, YIKES!

I did the homeschooling thing back in the day with several of my boys, and as a former children's librarian I figured I could manage schooling the twinsies easy peasy. Boy oh boy, what an adventure. When my sons were young patience stayed at the top of my prayer list and I learned a few things but I realize I still have much to learn. Just like yoga, after years of practicing I still have much to learn. Yoga is considered a practice, practice is something we do over and over again to get better at it. So...I am practicing patience, not only with others but also with myself.

These are some things I've come to understand about patience. Patience creates feelings of peace and calm, as opposed to the anger and frustration that often arises with impatience. Patience has three aspects; like a story it has a beginning, a middle and an end. First there's acceptance, realizing that what's happening now is what is happening now. Next there's persistence, we must be determined to keep on keeping on, knowing life is a journey. Finally we take a few deep breaths and settle into a place of peace and calm in the face of what is. 

Patience allows us to respond instead of react to what is. When we take a breath we create a space where we often are able to act more mindfully. This is really important when things get challenging. We won't always get things right, therefore we must practice patience with ourselves. Others won't always do the right things, practice patience with them. And remember, its always alright to take a few deep breaths. Practicing patience leads to peace where we realize all shall be well...eventually. 😉

Om shanti, shanti, shanti
Peace for me, peace for my family, peace for the world. 

Kathe







No comments:

Post a Comment